From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram: Ex-Lockheed CEO Augustine chews on American math and science ed

From a Star-Telegram article reporting on comments Norm Augustine made at a conference on engineering education:

Other nations, most notably China, are investing heavily in educating scientists and engineers and will eventually gain technological prowess and competitive advantages in key industries, like aviation and aerospace, in which the U.S. has long been the global leader, Augustine said.

“Technological innovation is likely to be the driver of the future of the American economy,” Augustine said at the Aviation and Aerospace Manufacturing Summit in Fort Worth.

The only way U.S. industry can compete with foreign competitors that have low-cost labor, Augustine said, is to “compete on knowledge-based resources.”

Scientists and engineers make up only 4 percent of the U.S. workforce. “They disproportionately create jobs for the other 96 percent,” he said.

Yet, the U.S. continues to lose ground when it comes to the quality of its educational efforts in math, science and engineering, and its ability to produce trained people.

China produces more English-speaking engineers than U.S. schools, he said, and Chinese scientists and engineers produce more technical papers on basic research than their American counterparts. And leaders of U.S. companies cut research and development spending to improve their bottom line.

U.S. politicians and business leaders too often blame China for declines in U.S. manufacturing and resulting job losses.

“Is it China that runs our public schools? Is it China that decides how much we should invest in research and development?” Augustine said. “We have met the enemy and it is us.”

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.