What does it take to coax students into STEM careers?

From an Indiana University press release:

A new study published in the journal Science Education finds that pushing high school students into more advanced courses in the STEM fields — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — does not have the greatest impact on whether they choose STEM careers.

“We want them to be skilled at math and science, but we also need to think about what we can do in terms of teaching it in ways to get them more interested,” said Adam V. Maltese, assistant professor of science education in the Indiana University School of Education. “This provides some numbers and some data to back up the importance of that.”

Maltese, also an adjunct faculty member of the Department of Geological Sciences in the College of Arts and Scienes, authored “Pipeline Persistence: Examining the Association of Educational Experiences with Earned Degrees in STEM Among U.S. Students.” The articles is co-authored by Robert H. Tai, associate professor of science education at the Curry School of Education at the University of Virginia. Maltese and Tai recently received funding that will allow them to conduct analysis of younger students’ motivations to select STEM careers.

“Currently in terms of the current educational policy, we see a focus on achievement and we see a focus on students producing results on standardized tests,” Tai said. “By that time, the standardized test scores in high school matter very little, but at the same time, the experiences they had in their science classes when they were children may matter a lot.”

Using an analysis of 4,700 students participating in the National Education Longitudinal Study of 1988 (NELS:88) conducted by the U.S. Department of Education, Maltese and Tai examined student transcripts and responses from surveys taken in the eighth, 10th, and 12th grades about subject interest, course enrollment and achievement, and career plans.

Earlier analyses of these data indicated that students interested in a STEM career in eighth grade were significantly more likely to complete a STEM degree in college. However, that group made up only 20 percent of the STEM degree earners from the NELS:88 sample. This study adds to the previous work by looking at the more complete educational histories of NELS:88 students and investigating the other 80 percent of STEM graduates from the nationally representative sample.

The key finding is that various indicators of student interest and self-confidence in science and math in high school are strongly associated with students continuing STEM studies through college, above and beyond enrollment and achievement factors. There are also indications that teacher emphasis on further study in STEM has a positive association with persisting in STEM fields. Teacher lecturing and an emphasis on facts and rules were negatively associated. The academic level of high school science and math courses attempted was not significant in predicting persistence.

Maltese said the finding provides a strong message for policymakers who are simply encouraging more students to enroll in more STEM-oriented classes.

“Achieving better is not necessarily going to lead to more students continuing in science and math,” he said.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to What does it take to coax students into STEM careers?

  1. Doc Carr says:

    Let’s not bury what should be the lead:

    “The academic level of high school science and math courses attempted was not significant in predicting persistence.”

    and, of course

    “Teacher lecturing and an emphasis on facts and rules were negatively associated.”

    Both argue against a PSSC-style or AP lecture course and in favor of a studio-style course like Harvard Project Physics, but both require teachers confident enough to work without a net (textbook supplied Powerpoint slides).

    I’m sure the reason that “interest” is so important is something that is rarely mentioned in career presentations: science and engineering are hard work.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s